Thursday 15 May 2008

Grimetro Season!

I have to make it clear from the beginning I won't be mentioning the word 'grimetro' again. We don't need any more sub-sub genres of music! Grime is small enough as it is without fools like me trying to segregate it further, so yeah, just thought I'd make my point at the beginning rather than the end.
Well as the summer fast approaches, everyone is trying to anticipate the next summer hit and the artists are trying to make one. With the recent success of Wiley's 'Wearing My Rolex' getting to number two in the official charts, other grime emcee's have been jumping on the electro bandwagon all of a sudden.

Dizzee Rascal feat. Calvin Harris - Dance With Me


Dizzee has got a big collaboration with Mr Calvin 'I Get All The Girls' Harris lined up for a summer release. It is getting quite a few spins on radio at the moment and will probably end up in the top 20 nearer the time. I'm not really feeling it, Dizzee sounds uninspired and think the beat is weak. Have a listen and decide for yourselves.

Lethal Bizzle - Keys To My Bentley (Prod. D'Explicit)


Another major rival of Wiley's is dropping a electro influenced tune this summer too! Lethal Bizzle with the help of the one of the UK's hottest producing talents at the moment, D'Explicit, have teamed up to deliver a song about women stealing more stuff from men on nights out. Maybe Bizzle hopes he'll get a Bentley sponsorship deal from this? Anyway I think the beat is heavy, even if Lethal's lyrics are blatantly ripping Wiley's off it still sounds good in the club.

Ribz feat. Skepta - I Know You Wanna


I'm not sure who produced the beat behind this track, but it sounds ok. I enjoyed this track too, but I don't know how long it will be before the novelty factor wears off. Another tune for the clubs and surely going to be blasted out along with 100's of other electro songs with grime artist vocals over them. Enjoy.

No comments: